Designers Drink is a podcast with designers for designers, anyone interested in design, anyone who works with designers, and anyone who wants to be a designer. The purpose of this show is to make the design world a little smaller—to bring us together so we can know each other and learn from each other and be inspired by each other. If you or someone you know would be a great fit for an episode, email me.
Drew Warkentin from episode three said I had to interview his friend, Chris Cashdollar. I soon found out why when I got him on Skype and started asking him about his life. Even though he’s been VP of Design at Happy Cog and done work for Ben & Jerry’s, Harvard, Viacom, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and Zappos.com, this guy is down-to-earth.
Chris and I talked for almost three hours, so I’m releasing this in two parts. In Part One, we make martinis and talk about the downfalls of responsive design, Zappos.com core values and how to create values for our own companies, and the best way to kickoff projects.
“If I get up every day with the optimism that I have the capacity for growth, then that’s success for me.” –Paula Scher
Episode 4 of Designers Drink: Chris Cashdollar Part 1
Chris lives in: Philly
Zappos.com Core Values:
- Deliver WOW Through Service
- Embrace and Drive Change
- Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
- Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
- Pursue Growth and Learning
- Build Open and Honest Relations with Communication
- Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit
- Do More With Less
- Be Passionate and Determined
- Be Humble
What we drank: vodka martinis with Titos Vodka
Chris’ One Book (every designer should read): Agency by Rick Webb
Things you must know/have/watch:
- Good Kickoff Meetings
- The 20-second Gut Test
- Design Characteristics Worksheet (you can watch Chris talk through this worksheet in the talk below)
- Reevaluating the Role of your Client in the Design Process with Chris Cashdollar – HOW Interactive Design Conference